North Brunswick Humane Association
June Monthly Meeting (6/13/11)
7:30 pm ET
710 Hermann Road –NB Community Complex
Employee Lounge Conference Room
In Attendance: Brenda Sauer, Jay Soloway, Vince Sheehan, Linda Sheehan, Michele Andrea, Sharon Weinstein-Canavan, Eileen Lorner, Jane Prestup, Dave Prestup, Erica Bundy,Donna Doherty, Sandra Erickson, Claire Butkus and Jocelyn Caffrey.
The meeting was called to order by Jay Soloway at 7:45pm. The minutes from the May monthly meeting were read and accepted. The membership went around the room and introduced themselves.
The Treasurer’s Report was presented by Vincent Sheehan. The opening balance as of May 1, 2011 was $51,110.41, deposits made in the amount of $2,948.66, checks written in the amount of $824.94 leaving an ending balance of $53,234.13.
Updates from May Meeting:
Flea Market Results- Jay reported we had a successful event. We had a net profit of $1712.42
- Mall Event Results– Memorial Day Weekend– The both Malls brought in $345.85 in donations. Thanks to Sandi Erickson, Jay Soloway, Claire Butkus, Judy Goodhart and Debbie Gallen.
- Press Release on “New NBHA”- Jay spoke about the upcoming press release introducing the new board members to the community. In addition, in a separate press release there will be an Open Letter to the community outlining NBHA’s mission and new programs.
- Spayed & Neutering Assistance Program (SNAP)– Lisa & Vince have finalized the agreement which will be given to the Rescue groups this week and we expect their signed agreement back in a couple of weeks. 10 rescue groups are included in Phase 1 of this subsidy program.
Karma Cat and Zen Dog
Animal Rescue Force
Wags To Riches
Second Chance For Animals
Woodbridge Animal Shelter Volunteers
All Critters Rescue
Sayreville Pet Adoption Center
- North Brunswick Dog Park – The Bulletin Board needs to be completed. Michele will contact Gail and see what she may need from the association. Additionally, the maintenance of the dog park was mentioned. Michele will send an email to the Township.
- Dog/Cat Food Bank– Sandi reported 10 dogs and 12 cats were fed last month. Do you or anyone you know cannot afford pet food. Please contact Sandi at email@example.com.
- Educational Outreach Update – With the school year at a close, Claire reported the program had a successful year in which we expanded to schools in the Milltown area. This is in addition to the North Brunswick school system. Our plans for the next school year are to expand further and add more schools from other Townships. In order to do this we are in need of more volunteers willing to give an hour out of their day, a couple of weeks in the year and present the program to the students. Additionally, Michele read some of the Thank You notes from the students from Livingston Park School to Ann Marie Walters and they were so thoughtful. If you are interested in participating in this program next year, please contact Ann Marie Walters or Claire Butkus at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Donation Cans Update – Sandi reported we have approximately 30 in place since last month.
- Cold Water Creek Event– We will table the discussion to the next meeting.
- Save a Senior Cat Program Update- Eileen has created a draft of a rebate form and gave it to the board for approval. More to come.
** Michele will send out volunteer sheets under separate email for those interested in signing up and volunteering their time at any of our upcoming events** PLEASE SIGN UP AND HELP NBHA
Middlesex County Fair – August 1st– August 7th – NBHA received a letter from the Fair Management inviting us to participate in the Charity Challenge. A water jar is setup for our organization. The charity that gets the highest amount in donations will be given an additional $500. We encourage those attending the Fair to stop by and make a donation to NBHA.
- National Night Out– This is a national event held on August 2nd from (5pm-8pm) at the North Brunswick Community Park on Route 130. We need 4 volunteers for this event.
- L’Oreal Day –“Your Dog is Worth It too”- Saturday- August 20th– 9am – 4pm – Vince reported that NBHA will have a booth, more than 7,000 people attended last year. We will need volunteers for that day.
- Township Display Case (the month of August) – Sandi will chair the setup of the NBHA theme in the Township Complex lobby.
- Bowl-a-Thon – will be held on Saturday, September 10th,2011 – More to come.
- Heritage Day Event– Saturday, September 24th 12pm -5pm in Babbage Park with setup at 10am. NBHA will have a booth once again at this year’s event. Volunteers are needed.
- 8th Annual NBHA Dog Walk–a-Thon – this year’s event will be held on Sunday, October 2nd – 1pm – 4pm in the North Brunswick Community Park. Michele will chair this event and is looking for volunteers for all aspects of event planning. Last year we had 22 Vendors, 8 Sponsors, 252 Dogs, a DJ, Food, Giveaways and a Halloween Dog Costume Contest. You will have fun planning this event.
- Next Mall Event– Jay spoke about doing the next event on Halloween Weekend. More to come.
- Old Bridge Shelter – the shelter needs all our support at the Old Bridge Municipal complex next Monday, June 20th to show solidarity for not closing the shelter. The Council Meeting is scheduled for June 20, 2011- 7:30PM, Municipal Court Room at 1 Old Bridge Plaza………it’s the corner of Route 516 East and Cottrel Rd.