North Brunswick Humane Association
November Membership Meeting
7:30pm-Tuesday – 11/12/13
North Brunswick Township Complex
710 Hermann Road
Historian Room- Basement Floor
The meeting was called to order at 7:38pm by Jay Soloway
In Attendance: Jay Soloway, Michele Andrea, Sandra Erickson, Carol Paszamant, Sharon Weinstein-Canavan, Nancy Costello, Dan Smith, Gina Rojek, Judy Kosior, Carole Christopher, Jocelyn Caffrey, Connie Hambel, Vincent Sheehan, Linda Sheehan, Karin Miller, Lisa Coletta, Donna Hildreth, Erica Bundy and Nancy Scalzone
Opening & Introductions by the Membership took place
The October Minutes were read and accepted by the Membership
Treasurer’s Report – Vincent Sheehan – No Report Provided
MONTHLY ASSOCIATION UPDATES:
- Dog/Cat Food Bank – Sandra Erickson reported that 9 Dogs and 23 Cats were fed this month
- Donation Cans Update – Sandra Erickson reported that $248.84 was collected this month
- 10th Annual Dog Walk-a-Thon- Final Results- Dan Smith reported the final results from the Dog Walk-a Thon & Family Fun Day of $7838.00 in Revenue $3173.20 in Expenses with a net Profit of $4664.80. Michele Andrea thanked all the members who supported this event on so many levels. A special thanks to Donna Hildreth, Diana Sichta, Nancy Costello and Varun Venkatraman.
- Thanksgiving Weekend Mall Events – Jay Soloway reported on the 2 Mall locations for Thanksgiving Weekend, Saturday, November 30th from 12pm-7pm – (1) Menlo Park Mall (Jay is the only one scheduled right now and he needs help) contact him if you are interested at JnMuttley2@aol.com, and (2) Brunswick Square Mall will have Donna Hildreth, Judy Kosior with Tucker & Nancy Costello. No further help is needed at the Brunswick Square Mall.
- Houlihan’s Fundraiser – Donna Hildreth provided the update on behalf of Diana Sichta. This fundraiser is being held at Houlihan’s Restaurant on U.S. Hwy 1 SB on Thursday, December 12th from 5:00pm- 9:00pm. You go in and have dinner bring the flyer with you and NBHA gets a % of the proceeds from your dinner check. You may print flyers on-line at www.northbrunswickhumane.org.
- The Paw Project Movie – being held on December 5th at 7:30pm at the Multiplex Cinemas at Town Center Plaza, Route 130, East Windsor. Regular theater prices prevail. The purpose of this fundraiser is to educate the public about the painful and crippling effects of feline declawing. Final arrangements are being made. Please look for a separate email blast on this.
- TNR Program – Donna Hildreth provided an update – Month to Date -we have trapped 18 Cats. We are building our equipment, we bought 4 additional traps. We are looking for Foster Homes for Cats. Contact Donna Hildreth if you can provide a foster home environment at firstname.lastname@example.org . It was also discussed about getting the Girl & Boy Scouts involved to build housing and for fundraising.
- NBHA Bylaws Change – on behalf of the Bylaws Committee, Jay Soloway announced a needed change to the Bylaws. In order to align the timeframes and dates of the Bylaws as it relates to the Election processes bylaw #’s 7.4 and 8.2 need to be changed. He used the November Meeting to announce and read the proposed changes to the bylaws. Voting will take place at the December meeting.
- 2014 Nominations of Board of Officers and Directors at Large – Michele Andrea spoke on behalf of the Nomination Committee of Donna Hildreth, Nancy Costello and her self. The timelines for the Election process is as follows: November Meeting- Nominations from the floor were made, December Meeting the Nomination Committee will announce the Slate of Officers for 2014, Januar Meeting the Membership will vote and February 2014 the New Executive Board takes office. The following Nominations were made:
- President- Vincent Sheehan
- Vice President- Dan Smith, Nancy Costello & Diana Sichta
- Treasurer – Dan Smith
- Secretary- Diana Sichta
- Public Relations- Jay Soloway
- Directors at Large- Donna Hildreth & Sandra Erickson
- NBHA TNR at Katie’s Pet Depot – Volunteers are still needed for the NBHA TNR program – 1 hour per day, any number of days, to volunteer at Katie’s Pet Depot to clean cat cages, feedings etc. Contact Vincent Sheehan at Katie’s Pet Depot if you interested in helping out at 908-451-7389.
Five Below in the Shoppes of North Brunswick – is having a fundraiser day- Sharon Weinsten-Canavan will contact them and report back to the membership.
Flea Market/ Rummage Sale– Sharon Weinstein-Canavan made a suggestion that we need to start to think about the Flea Market & Rummage Sale Event and the need for 2- Chair People & Volunteers to support it.
Good & Welfare:
- Pet Store Ban – Jay Soloway announced, effective November 13, 2013, the new Ordinance banning Pet Stores who specifically sell puppies and kittens in North Brunswick Township becomes Law. Thank you to Jay Soloway & Vincent Sheehan from NBHA, Mayor Francis Womack and Council Members, Bob Davis, Council President, Bob Corbin, Shanti Narra, Cathy Nicola, Ralph Andrews and Carlo Socio for supporting this Ordinance.
- News 12 Announcement – Nancy Costello updated the members on the situation with the Puppy & Mother Pit Bull who were abused – They caught the person and he is going to jail.
- Meeting Adjourned at 8:40pm
Next Meeting Monday, December 9, 2013 at 7:30pm