North Brunswick Humane Association
September Monthly Meeting
7:30pm – September 9, 2013
710 Hermann Road –NB Community Complex
Employee Lounge- Basement Floor
The Meeting Called to Order was called to order at 7:35pm by Jay Soloway
In Attendance: Michele Andrea, Dan Smith ,Lisa Coletta, Jay Soloway, Donna Hildreth, Diana Sichta, Ann Marie Walters, Judy Kosior , Sharon Weinstein-Canavan, Erica Bundy, Eileen King, Sam Clark, Carol Paszamant, Jane Prestup, Ann Marie Walters and Gina Rojek.
Opening & Introductions by the Membership took place
The August Minutes were read and accepted by the Membership
Treasurer’s Report – Vincent Sheehan – No Update
MONTHLY ASSOCIATION UPDATES:
- Dog/Cat Food Bank – Update- Sandi Erickson- No Update
- Donation Cans Update – Update – Sandi Erickson – No Update
Events & New Business:
- Claire Butkus- Many of the members paid tribute to Claire and her passing. Michele Andrea, spoke about NBHA’s intention to honor Claire by planting a tree in her name in the North Brunswick Dog Park. Ann Marie Walters will plant a 2nd tree as well in Claire’s honor. The North Brunswick Park & Recreation Dept has indicated they will work with us to complete the planting. NBHA will honor Claire at the 10th Annual Dog Walk-a-Thon with this effort.
- Claire Butkus – A Way to Honor Claire- Lisa Coletta spoke conceptual to the membership and proposed the following. Since Claire was a founding member of NBHA I think it’s appropriate to create a memorial in her name that will keep on giving, year after year. Given her love of both animals and education, Lisa propose that we create an annual $1,000 scholarship in Claire’s name for a high school senior who will be going into animal-related studies( animal science, biology or whatever future veterinarians study, a vet tech program, etc.) Obviously, some research is needed and we will need someone willing to run this program. We could be proper and formal and call it the Clare Butkus Memorial Scholarship or we could go simple and sweet and call it Clare’s Gift. This was well received by the membership and there is more to come.
- Proposed By-Law Change– Sharon Weinstein-Canavan & Jay Soloway explained and read the current By-Law 4.1- Classes of Membership– Any person may become an Individual member with an annual payment of a membership fee of $10.00. They read the proposed change to By Law- 4.1 to state– Classes of Membership- Any person may become an Individual member with an annual payment of a membership fee to be determined by the board and approved by the membership. All were in favor of the proposed changed and it was passed and accepted by the membership.
- TNR Proposed Budget-Donna Hildreth proposed a budget of $5000 be set aside as a TNR Fund for the following purpose
- Provide a community education and outreach program, which will include hands-on training, as well as the distribution of printed materials. The education and outreach program shall have the following goals:
- Promote TNR as the most effective and humane way to control the population of community cats.
- Teach people how to conduct TNR on their own.
- Build public tolerance for community cats.
- Teach people ways to peacefully co-exist with cats in the neighborhood.
- Establish a trap bank.
- Remove financial barriers to TNR by providing funds to cover the costs for spaying/neutering and related medical expenses, as necessary. (We are in the process of exploring areas for targeted TNR.)
We anticipate apportioning the funds as follows:
- $500.00 for traps
- $1000 for printed materials for training and outreach
- $3500 for spaying and neutering and other medical expenses
All were in favor of the creation of a TNR Fund and it was passed and accepted by the membership.
- NBHA Sponsored TNR Training– Donna Hildreth reminder everyone about this upcoming program- delivered by People for Animals- to be held in Our Lady of Peace Recreation Center on Route 130 N on Tuesday, September 24th from 7pm-9pm
- 10th Annual Dog Walk-a-Thon- October 20, 2013 – Committee Updates- $3500 budget was proposed and passed by the Membership. Each Committee updated the membership.
- Heritage Day – Saturday, September 28th from 1pm-9pm at the North Brunswick Community Park- Jay Soloway reminder the membership of this upcoming event.
- · Bowl-a-Thon- October 5th – Saturday, October 5th -6:00pm-10:00pm- Brunswick Zone Carolier- Jay Soloway thanked Cheryl Vitow for provided NBHA with color flyers.
Your $25 ticket includes, 2 Hours of bowling, Rental Shoes, 2 slices of Pizza & Soda or $10 No Bowling, includes 2 slices of Pizza & Soda.
- Proposed Annual Recognition Dinner – Donna Hildreth proposed an annual event in which people are acknowledge and recognized for their contribution to NBHA. More to come.
- Puppy Mill Store Legislation- Jay Soloway and Vincent Sheehan spoke once again in front of the Town Council at their meeting on the proposal legislation on banning Puppy Stores from selling Dogs & Cats in North Brunswick. They felt it was well received and look forward to their action in the near future.
- L’Oreal Event- Jay Soloway thanked Nancy Costello and Judy Kosior on the handling of the L’Oreal Event.
Good & Welfare:
- Diana Sichta addressed the membership support on a countywide Humane Society legislation in the works. Diana is asking for the membership’s support to fill out postcards and mail in them in. A separate email on this subject with instructions will be sent.
- Diane Sichta recommended NBHA start publishing a NBHA Newsletter. We are seeking those individuals with layout, graphics and design experience to work with Diana. It was discussed to contact the local High School for students with these interests and skill sets.
- Michele Andrea read and passed around the Thank You notes from the 3rd grade students at the Livingston Park Elementary School showing their appreciation to Ann Marie Walters and Claire Butkus and their team of NBHA Educational Program Presenters. The thank you notes were very appreciated.
- NBHA Educational Program- AnnMarie is looking for volunteers for this year’s program. We need people who have the time during the day to present pre-designed educational information to varies 3rd grades classes in the local schools. Jane & Dave Prestup have volunteered to join the program this year. We still need more people.
- Jay Soloway announced that NBHA is looking for a slate of Officers to serve the organization in 2014. The current Officers’ term of office is over at the end of 2013 and by virtue of the By-Laws cannot serve a fourth term in their current position. Many of the officers have communicated they will not be seeking another position in the organization in 2014. If anyone is interested, please contact NBHA through our website.
Meeting Adjourned at 8:40pm
The next meeting is TBD due to the Columbus Day Holiday being celebrated on Monday, October 14th. The meeting is current tentative for Tuesday, October 15th at 7:30pm in the NB Township Complex.