July 2013 Meeting Minutes
North Brunswick Humane Association
July Membership Meeting
7:30pm – July 8, 2013
710 Hermann Road –NB Community Complex
Conference Room #1
Meeting was called to order by Jay Soloway at 7:45pm
In Attendance: Michele Andrea, Sandi Erickson, Jay Soloway, Vincent Sheehan, Donna Hildreth, Eileen Lorner, Dan Smith, Lisa Coletta, Sharon Weinstein-Canavan, JM Korey,Judy Kosior, Nancy Scalzone, Barbara Hillenmayer, Anthony Turchioe, Joyce Frey, Karin Miller, Nancy Costello, Rochelle Vergara, Carol Paszamant, Erica Bundy, David Prestup, Jane Prestup and Mary Cotteon.
Opening & Introductions were made by the Membership
The June Minutes were read and accepted by the Membership
Treasurer’s Report – Vincent Sheehan provided the financial report in which the total bank balance as of 6/21/13 was $50,351.02. Of this amount, Year to Date, Income is $8,384.22 and Expenses $3,858.20.
MONTHLY ASSOCIATION UPDATES:
- Donation Cans Update – Sandi Erickson reported $180.62 has been collected YTD
Events & New Business:
- North Brunswick Animal Control- Jay Soloway reported that Mark Cafferty is no longer in the ACO position. He is now in EMO. North Brunswick Township has been done away with the ACO position and it is being outsourced to Helmetta. We do not know at the moment who is the Helmetta ACO (s) assigned to North Brunswick. If you need an ACO call the Police Department and they will forward the call or call the Clerk’s office during business hours.
- 10th Annual Dog Walk-a-Thon- October 6, 2013- Jay Soloway announced we need 2 -Co-Chair People for this year’s annual event. No one volunteered their services to take the lead on this most important fundraising and community event. For the benefit of those members not in attendance, an email will be sent to all members with this request. The annual dog walk is in jeopardy of not taking place.
- 2013 & 2014 Slate of Office – Jay spoke to the membership about what will happen at the end of the year (2013) with NBHA if more people don’t step up to take on leadership roles in the organization. The current slate of Officers by virtue of the bi-laws cannot stay in their current position after this year. They have served 3 terms of office. There will be no people to elect to office if other members do not exhibit the will and the skill to lead this organization. Thus, NBHA will cease to exist.
TNR Program – Donna Hildreth reported:
The Open Public Record Act (OPRA) request for North Brunswick Township was mailed out this week. She will follow up in 7 to 10 days if she does not hear anything from the township.
She is in the process of arranging for TNR training for our area. She would like to schedule one ASAP in the North Brunswick area, and another one in October around National Feral Cat Day, October 16, in East Brunswick. As soon as she gets some dates from the trainer at People for Animals, she will start looking for a place to hold the training and ask NBHA to help with advertising and some printing. She also is trying to see if Sandra Obi from APLN can do a Training of Trainers for us so we can start doing trainings around the county. We need more trappers and other support in the area.
There is a need for Recovery Space and for Foster Homes, in addition to transporters. We are appealing to anyone reading these minutes, who might be interested, to contact NBHA through our email address at email@example.com.
- We will need to meet as a group, set up a committee to set some goals and develop strategies for increasing membership, raising funds, and to find a way to spread the tasks around so we can keep moving forward. Donna thinks we will need to meet at least monthly to get organized.
- Heritage Day – Saturday, September 28th from 1pm-9pm- Jay Soloway confirmed we will have a presence at the event.
- Middlesex County Fair- Charity Challenge Donation –NBHA will have a donation can at the Charity Challenge on August 5th – August 11th. If you are at the fair, please stop by the Charity Challenge area and donate to NBHA.
- Bowl-a-Thon – Jay Soloway announced the Bowl-a-thon will be held in September, more to come…
- Milltown- 4th of July Parade – Sharon Weinstein-Canavan will contact Milltown organizers for next year to be in the parade with our dogs.
- L’Oreal “Your Dog is Worth It Too” Day – August 17th – Sandi Erickson asked for a volunteer to head the tabling event for NBHA this year, she will be unable to do it. If you are interested you may contact Sandi at firstname.lastname@example.org
Good & Welfare:
- Erica Bundy raised awareness concerning a potentional dangerous situation in a residential home with animals on Cleremont Street, North Brunswick. She initially called the police but nothing was done, not even a call forwarded to Helmetta Animal Control. As a fast follow up since the meeting, some members went by the home and it appears that everything inside may have been moved out. With no Animal Control Officer for the township this leaves us helpless.
Meeting Adjourned at 9:30pm
The next meeting is Monday, August 12th at 7:30pm