North Brunswick Humane Association
June Membership Meeting
7:30pm – June 10, 2013
710 Hermann Road –NB Community Complex
Conference Room #1
The meeting was called to order at 7:32pm by Jay Soloway.
Attendees: Michele Andrea, J Mark Korey, Eileen Lorner, Donna Hildreth, Sharon Weinstein-Canavan, Sandra Erickson, Judy Kosior, Ellen Beagle, Jay Soloway, Anthony Turchioe, Lisa Coletta, Dan Smith, Erica Bundy, Barbara Hillenmayer, Nancy Costello, and Gina Rojek .
Opening & Introductions by the Membership were made
The May Minutes were read and accepted by the Membership
Treasurer’s Report – Vincent Sheehan – No Treasurer’s given
MONTHLY ASSOCIATION UPDATES:
Dog/Cat Food Bank – Sandra Erickson reported we fed 11 cats and 2 dogs last month.
Donation Cans Update – Sandra Erickson reported YTD we collected $160.50,
Events & New Business:
- Flea Market/Rummage Sale- Final Results – Sharon Weinstein-Canavan reported that on the Income side, NBHA netted $3300 from the Rummage and Expenses came in at $100 under budget. She thanked everyone for their participation and effort. Eileen Lorner reported we had 79 Vendor Spaces and 6 Complimentary Spaces. She also thanked everyone as well.
- Super Cat Adoption Day Event Update & Results – Lisa Coletta reported we had 47 cats adopted plus 9 cats pending adoption, for a potentional 56 cats. These results are better than last year. We had 182 cats in total available for adoption. Although the final numbers are pending, we did come in under budget on the expense side. Jay Soloway reported the 50/50 Raffle earned $128.00 in total. Lisa thanked everyone for their help and participation.
- Jay Soloway addressed the organization on an incident that took place during the Super Cat Adoption Day Event in which one of our NBHA volunteers insulted another volunteer from another organization. He reminded us, we are dealing with the public at all our events and even if we are making a joke, things can be taken out of context. We have to use common sense at all times when dealing and talking to other people.
- NBHA Volunteer Base – during the reporting of the Super Cat Adoption Day event a discussion ensued regarding the fact that the organization does not have a volunteer base that can be counted on to help out when it comes to set up and break down for each event. This is a very serious situation and has to be remedied. The same handful of people is expected to do all the work as if it is only their organization and event. This is an area in the organization that must be remedied over the next several months. NBHA has joined Volunteer.com to see if we can recruit other members and volunteers with specific skill sets and interests.
- Mall Memorial Day Weekend Events– Sandra Erickson reported NBHA made $148 in donation and sold 5 shirts thus netting $160 for the day.
- Katie’s Pet Rescue Emergency Care under NBHA Banner– – Jay Soloway made a recommendation that we allow Katie’s Pet Rescue to fall under the NBHA Banner allowing them non-profit discounts for medical care when using a facility for a rescue animal. A motion was made and passed.
- Pennies for Puppies – Sandra Erickson announce that Linwood Middle School collected $302 from this event for NBHA. Linwood Middle School wrote an article in the Sentinel Newspaper regarding the program. Sandy proposed we use the donated money and create a matching grant for Animal Medical Care. A proposal was made and a motion was passed.
- Trap/Neuter/Return (TNR) Meeting with Michelle Lerner- Donna Hildreth -TNR Training for NBHA will be in the next several months. Donna will let the membership know the date and place. Our goal is to make North Brunswick Township TNR friendly.
- Township Display Case– (NBHA’s Month is August) – Jay Soloway was seeking out a volunteer to take the lead on working on the display case for August. Donna Hiilldreth, Ellen Beagle and Barbara Hillenmayer volunteered.
- Heritage Day – Saturday, September 28th from 1pm-9pm- Jay Soloway stated NBHA will participate in this year’s community based event. It is typical a tabling event and dogs are allowed. Jay asked volunteers to staff the table. We can schedule in shifts. Contact Jay if you are interested at his email address at JnMuttley2@aol.com
- Middlesex (CART) Lieutenant Tom Bykowski– Lisa Coletta thanked the CERT /CART team for their participation at the SCAD event. She reminded everyone they are looking for volunteers especially those people who are comfortable around animals, to help in the case of a disaster in which animals need shelter and care. There are many different types of jobs needed to be filled and there is no obligation to the number of hours you volunteer. If anyone is interested in signing up to volunteer or want more information about CERT/CART, you may contact Lieutenant Tom Bykowski directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or CART@co.middlesex.nj.us or 732-316-7152. County Office of Emergency Management (OES) & County Animal Response Team
- Spay/Neuter Grant Program (SNAP) –Lisa Coletta made a motion for the 2013 budget to be set at $10,000 for this program. The motion was passed.
- SARA Golf Outing (Summit Animal Rescue Association, Inc) – (Tricky Tray & Silent Auction) – September 14th, 1:00pm at the Beaver Brook Country Club – for more information contact www.sararescue.com
Good & Welfare:
Claire Butkus – Jay Soloway spoke to the membership about Claire being in the hospital and rehab, is at home now, and is recuperating
Diana Sichta – Jay also announced Diana had a minor heart attack and is recuperating at home.
We wish the both of them a speedy recovery
The Meeting Adjourned at 8:40pm
The next meeting is Monday, July 8th at 7:30pm