North Brunswick Humane Association
January Membership Meeting
7:30pm – 1/14/13
710 Hermann Road –NB Community Complex
Employee Lounge-Basement Floor
The Meeting Called to Order at 7:40pm by Jay Soloway
ATTENDEES: Michele Andrea, Jay Soloway, Eileen Lorner, Lisa Coletta, Dan Smith, Lora Muckin, Sandra Erickson, Erica Bundy, Vincent Sheehan, Linda Sheehan,Donna Hildreth, Nancy Costello Lynn Postman, Arlene Birnbohn, Sharon Weinstein-Canavan, Judy Kosior, AnneMarie Walters, Claire Butkus, Anthony, Turchioc, J.Mark Korey, Donna Brush,Cheryl Kunta, David Prestup, Carol Paszamant, Helene Roth & Richard Polny.
Opening & Introductions were made by the Membership
The December Minutes were read and accepted by the Membership
Treasurer’s Report – No Report provided by Vincent Sheehan
MONTHLY ASSOCIATION UPDATES:
- Dog/Cat Food Bank – Sandi Erickson reported that 5 dogs and 18 cats were fed this past month
- Donation Cans Update – Sandi Erickson reported the Association received in donation for the Full Year 2012- $834.58 & YTD $50.65
- Spay/Neuter Program (SNAP) – Lisa Coletta is still working with each rescue & shelter
Events & New Business:
- Cold Water Creek Tabling Event–Jay Soloway reported we made $60.00 in donations. The staff and customers are always caring and generous.
- 2013 Officer Elections –As Nominating Committee Chair Person, Sandy Erickson placed in nomination Donna Hildreth for the Public Relations Officers position. The Nominations of Officers and Board Members were announced and accepted. Thank you to Erica Bundy for your support in the Public Relations position over the past 2 years.
The 2013 Executive Board consists of the following:
President- Jay Soloway
Vice President- Sandra Erickson
Treasurer –Vincent Sheehan
Secretary – Michele Andrea
Public Relations – Donna Hildreth
Director – Eileen Lorner
Director – Dan Smith
- Fundraising Efforts-Stress Factory- Eileen Lorner updated the membership on the Stress Factory Event– March 3rd from 5:00pm-8:30pm (setup time will be at 4pm with a will call table). The cost of Dinner and Show is $40 per person. Eileen shared the collateral materials. We are currently working with 34 advertisers who potentially could take space in the Playbill. Kelly Schlossberg and Kari Deleon have helped with some of the initial calls to businesses. If anyone is interested in helping Eileen contact local businesses on advertising space or is interesting in placing an advertisement, please contact her at 732-220-1320.
- Tabling Event- WOW Gym Update – Paws for Fitness Day -January 21st– 4pm-8pm- Eileen reported that a free night at the Gym is being provided to any non-member. Eileen Lorner, Michele Andrea and Nancy Costello will be working this tabling event. NBHA will be giving bottled water and energy bars out to all. We are selling Muscle Maker Grill $5.00 Gift Certificates in which $2.00 of the proceeds benefit NBHA.
- Open House Membership Drive – Vincent Sheehan updated the members – in an effort to increase our membership, this event will take place on Sunday, March 10th from 12:00pm-3:00pm at the Deer Brook Village Recreation Center- off of Route 130 South in North Brunswick (setup 10am-12pm & breakdown 3pm-4pm) – Refreshments provided. A Clinic will be held by one of the local Veterinarian Animal Hospitals on “How to keep your Pet Well” and a Dog Training Clinic will be held on “How to train your Dog”. Sandi Erickson is working on a plan for refreshments where members make a plate (i.e. potluck type).
- DCH Toyota Tabling Event– 9am- 12pm-January 26th-Eileen Lorner & Jay Soloway will be working this in an effort to advertise the Stress Factory upcoming event.
- TNR at Renaissance Village – Michele Andrea reported that 4 cats so far have been through the TNR process and 3 returned. One is getting medical care. There has been some interruptions and set backs with Hurricane Sandy, Snow and Holidays. The team of Karma Cats & NBHA will resume the process on February 1st.
- Flea Market / Rummage Sale – Saturday, May 18th– Jay Soloway reported more to come on this annual event.
- Cat Adoption Day– Saturday, June 8th – Update –Lisa Coletta reported we will once again be holding a Super Cat Adoption Day event at Our Lady of Peace Recreation Center off Route 130 on June 8th. We are looking for a large number of NBHA members, for their hands-on support, the day of the event.
- Dog Adoption Day– September 2013- Michele Andrea updated the members on the concept of the having a Dog Adoption Day in September.
- Animal Advocacy Information – Donna Hildreth spoke to the membership on a variety of current issues involving the Rights of Animals and passed out paperwork on each topic. Some of the topics were; Legislation being introduced on Bear Education and Research, No Kill Advocacy Center-the Myth of Pet Overpopulation & the No Kill Revolution in America, the Animal Welfare Federation of NJ Conference 2013-March 22-23 be held at the Ocean Place Resort and Spa, No Kill Conference 2013, Washington, D.C. July 13-14. For more information on any of these topics, please email Donna at Donna704@verizon.net.
Good and Welfare–
- Mark Korey gave us an update on the Presbyterian Church in Middlesex Borough and the feral cat situation. Cats are alive and well and licensed. Paws for Peace have been appointed on the township’s Board of Health. Thank you to the Middlesex Borough Township Council and the Presbyterian Church for this humane resolution.
- Eileen Lorner spoke about the Pit Bull Issue in North Brunswick- one of the homes had Pit Bulls tethered all day outside with no food and water. There is a warrant out for the arrest of the owners, who were a no show at their court hearing. The owner gave the dogs to someone but no one knows whom.
- Diana Sicha spoke about the League of Humane Voters of NJ looking for volunteers for all phases of Wild Life Rehab. You may contact the League at their web site at http://lohvnj.org/
- A discussion ensued on educating the Adult Community on what the responsibilities are in getting a new Pet. NBHA is looking to further their current educational program, which is targeted towards 3rd grade level children and create a Educational Program for the Adults in 2013.
The Next Meeting, Monday, February 11, 2013
The Meeting Adjourned 8:50pm