North Brunswick Humane Association
November Monthly Meeting, Tuesday, (11/13/12)
7:30 pm ET
710 Hermann Road –NB Community Complex
Conference Room #1
The Meeting Called to Order at 7:30pm by Jay Soloway
Attendees: Michele Andrea, Jane Prestup, David Prestup, Vincent Sheehan, Linda Sheehan, Jay Soloway, Eileen Lorner, Sandi Erickson, Judy Kosier,Claire Butkus, Sharon Weinstein-Canavan, Lisa Coletta, Dan Smith,Rose Doyle McKenna, Annmarie Walters, Donna Hildreth, Denise Michael, Diana Sichta, Erica Bundy,Gina Rojek, Carol Paszament and Kelly Schlossberg.
Opening & Introductions by the Membership took place
The October Minutes read and accepted by the Membership
Treasurer’s Report – Vincent Sheehan –Month/Month – Total Income-$6096.59 & Total Expenses -$2,794.58 ,Net Income $3,302.01
MONTHLY ASSOCIATION UPDATES:
- Dog/Cat Food Bank –Sandi Erickson reported, we fed 32 Cats and 9 Dogs this past month. Indian Fields School is doing a Pet School Drive for us within the next few months. The NBHA Food Bank is still in need of supplies. A motion was made and a vote passed to create an emergency fund for the food bank of $300.
- Donation Cans Update – Sandi Erickson – YTD $834.58 – has been collected from the donation cans.
- Spay/Neuter Program (SNAP) –Lisa Coletta reported – 5 out of the 10 Animal Rescues & Shelters who are a part of the SNAP program have used all their funds. 110 animals confirmed spayed or neutered.
BUSINESS & EVENTS
- 9th Annual Dog Walk-a-Thon (Family Fun Day) – Michele Andrea thanked everyone for their hard work. She reported we had 177 registered dogs and approximately 400 people attending this year’s event. Our Income was $9,267.10 and our Expenses were $4,262.10, with a Net Profit of $5,005.00. This was the best year yet
- Dogtoberfest IV – Michele Andrea thanked Christa Von Peters for her leadership and thanked Judy Kosier and Kathy Rock for their help and support of this event. NBHA received donations of $457.00. Great Work Ladies!
- Nominating Committee –Jay Soloway announced this year’s Nominating Committee will consist of Sandi Erickson, Sharon Weinstein-Canavan & Claire Butkus. If anyone, who is a member of the organization, wants to nominate himself, herself, or another member as an Officer or Board member please contact Sandi through the NBHA web site at firstname.lastname@example.org. Nominations will take place at the December Monthly Meeting with voting in January 2013 and effective in February 2013
- Mall Tabling Event (Pet Food Bank) – Saturday, November 24, 2012– Menlo Park Mall & Brunswick Square Mall– Jay Soloway & Sandi Erickson will have the lead on this tabling event. In Support the NBHA Food Bank, please come by with a bag or can of Dog or Cat food.
- Amendment to By-Laws- Claire Butkus and Sharon Weinstein-Canavan read the 3 By-Laws that were up for consideration and change. All new changes were voted on and passed.
- They are:
5.8 No committee or individual shall contract any indebtedness or obligation on behalf of the Association without authorization of the President and Treasurer of the Board, or their designees.
5.8 No committee or individual shall contract any indebtedness or obligation on behalf of the Association including amounts over program budget limits without authorization of the membership. The President and Treasurer of the Board, or their designees may approve amounts up to and including $100.00.
7.5 Terms – Any newly elected Director shall hold office for one year, effective beginning at the February Annual Meeting, as is then eligible to be re-elected for a one year term and no more than three consecutive terms. The proposed term of the office shall be printed next to a nominee’s name on any ballot.
7.5 Terms – Any newly elected Director shall hold office for one year, effective beginning at the February Annual Meeting, as is then eligible to be re-elected for a one year term. The proposed term of the office shall be printed next to a nominee’s name on any ballot.
8.2 Election – The Officers of the Association shall be elected annually by the majority of the membership at the February meeting in each fiscal year, provided there is a quorum. Each Officer shall hold office for a period of one year, not to exceed three successive terms. Election as an Officer shall not of itself create contract rights.
8.2 Election – The Officers of the Association shall be elected annually by the majority of the membership at the February meeting in each fiscal year, provided there is a quorum. Each Officer shall hold office for a period of one year. Election as an Officer shall not of itself create contract rights.
10.3 The financial Committee shall consist of the Presidnet (ex officio), the Treasurer and two other members of the Board who will be appointed by the President. The Board may choose one or more additonal members oof the Committee from the general membership of the Association. The President shall appoint the Chair of the Committee.
10.3 The Financial Committee shall consist of the President and the Treasurer. The Board shall choose two more additional members of the Committee from the general membership of the Association. The President shall appoint the Chair of the Committee. Said chair cannot be a board member.
Fiscal Year – The fiscal year shall be February 1 through January 30.
Responsibilities – The Finance Committee is responsible for developing and reviewing fiscal procedures, a fund-raising plan and the annual budget for the next fiscal year by September 1. The Board must approve the budget. The board of the Executive Committee must approve any change in the budget. Annual Reports must be submitted to the Board showing income, expenditures and pending income. The financial records of the Association are public records and shall be made available to the membership. Board members and the public as specified in Article III. The Committee shall meet on the call of its Chair or the President.
- Discussion on Fundraising Events–
- Michele Andrea introduced the subject of NBHA contributing a Grant of $1000 to 4-Local Animal Shelters ($250 each) in need as result of Hurricane Sandy. Several Shelters are under review. A motion was made and a vote passed on the Grant.
- Eileen Lorner spoke about the Stress Factory Comedy event on March 3rd in which NBHA will partner with Second Chance for Animals and hold a night at the Comedy Club with dinner and a show. The potentional cost for NBHA is $1750. A motion was made and a vote taken and passed.
- Eileen Lorner also spoke about a tabling event at the WOW Gym US 1, North Brunswick. The event will be held on Monday, January 21st from 4pm-8pm. Those people come to the gym that night will receive a Free work out
- Discussion on Membership Open House Events- Jay Soloway indicated we are currently looking for site for this venue. Sandi Erickson will contact the Deer Brook Properties to see if we can use their Club House. More to Come.
- TNR at Renaissance Village Condo in North Brunswick (Route 130) – Michele Andrea spoke about how the Renaissance Village Homeowners Board approved a TNR (Trap-Neuter-Return) plan for the community. Michele will work with Karma Cats Rescue and Forgotten Cats Rescue who will provide the end- to- end process for this program. We thank both Rescue groups for their support. This is the first step where a Residential Community is stepping up and being a Model of Responsibility in an effort to stem the feral cat population.
- Rabies Clinic Update- Jay Soloway indicated the scheduled for the clinic is, January 12th, rain date January 19th from1pm-4pm. Linda Sheehan recommended we advertise for folks to “bring a can” of dog or cat food and we should have a food bin present. Jay will check with the Township to see if we can do this.
- NBHA Support of No Kill Movement in Middlesex County- Donna Hildreth spoke about the organization and the need for us to focus on the animal laws governing Animal Shelters and everyday citizens. This is our mission as an organization. We should entertain volunteers for the Legislative Committee to focus on this. More discussion will take place.
- Legislative Committee -Anti Puppy/Kitten Ordinance –Jay Soloway and Vincent Sheehan presented a motion to the North Brunswick Town Council last night to ban the retail sale of puppies and kittens in pet stores in North Brunswick. We are awaiting their decision.
Good & Welfare
The next meeting is Monday, December 10, 2012
The Meeting Adjourned at 9:00pm