North Brunswick Humane Association
July Monthly Meeting (7/09/12)
7:30 pm ET
710 Hermann Road –NB Community Complex
Conference Room #1
The Meeting Called to Order at 7:30pm by Jay
In Attendance: Erica Bundy, Jay Soloway, Sandra Erickson, Michele Andrea, Vincent Sheehan, Sharon Weinstein-Canavan, Judy Kosier, Brenda Sauer, Nancy Costello, Donna Hildreth, Eileen Lorner, Helene Roth, Dan Smith, Lisa Coletta, Linda Sheehan, Gina Rojeck, Carl Paszamant, Lisa Walker, Jane & David Prestup.
- Opening & Introductions took place by the Membership
- The June Minutes were read and accepted by the Membership
- Treasurer’s Report- Vincent –Deferred the Treasury report this month
MONTHLY ASSOCIATION UPDATES:
- Dog/Cat Food Bank – Update – Sandi reported NBHA fed 31 cats and 8 dogs this past month. On Wednesday, a new location at the Stop & Shop on Route 1 in Edison will be setup. We are low on Pet Food therefore Michele will send an email blast to the membership for food donations.
- Donation Cans Update – Update – Sandi reported we collected $342.87 in donations year to date.
New BUSINESS & EVENTS
- L’Oreal “Because Your Dog is Worth It Too Day”– Saturday, August 18th – Sandi has all the volunteers she needs. Any other NBHA members who show up will need to pay the entrance fee since we are limited to unpaid volunteers per booth setup.
- 9th Annual Dog Walk-a-Thon – Michele indicated the Kick-off/ Planning meeting will be held on Thursday, July 12th at 7:00pm in the NB Complex, room #1.
- Middlesex County Fair- August 6th -12th – Jay informed the membership once more that a donation jar has been added to Non-Profit section of the Fair Grounds. All Donations need to be in cash only, no checks allowed. The Non-Profit with the highest amount of donations receives an additional $500.
- Development of a TNR Program – Vince spoke on behalf of the board–NBHA is looking to have a Committee that will develop and execute on a TNR Subsidy Program in North Brunswick. We will look to animal experts such as the Animals Protection League or other Animal Groups with this experience to help execute on the plan.
- Fundraising Events- NBHA is the early stages of looking to setup a Fundraising Events Committee. Initially we are looking at several venues such as a, Annual dinner with a Silent Auction, Membership Open House with a Tricky Tray, Applebee’s Community Fundraiser and a Bowl-a-Thon. Lisa recommended we look on line at www.VolunteerMatch.org to find people with these skill sets.
- By-Laws Committee has to be setup to review the by-laws since they have not been reviewed in the past year or two and needs to be revisited.
- NB Dog Park– the membership asked that a meeting be setup with the Township to address dangerous issues at the dog park. Michele and Jay will follow-up.
- National Night Out- Tuesday, August 7th – Jay sent around a sign up sheet for volunteers.
- Heritage Day- Saturday, September 29th – Jay sent around a sign up sheet for volunteers.
- Bowl-a-thon- Saturday- will be held on Saturday, September 8th from 6pm-10pm
- Super Cat Adoption Days – Lisa reported, results are final, 49 Cats were adopted which is 40 % of the adoptable population.
- Good & Welfare
- Thompson Park in Jamesburg, Monroe Township – The Deer population in Thompson Park, which were placed by the county, is not being taken care of. Nancy, one of our members, spoke to the Caretakers and it appears that the care is not consistent. The deer are trying to jump over the fence to get out. Carol or Nancy will call the Middlesex County SPCA.
- The next meeting is Monday, August 13, 2012.
- The Meeting Adjourned at 9:00pm.